4.10.2008

Not that "Wilde" about this book

So before I left for Denver I wanted to get a book to read at the airport, on the plane, before bed... etc.

I found one at work in the freebie area. Usually if I take something from there I will read it and then return it in case someone else wants it.

So I found something called "The Wilde Women" by Paula Wall.

It was billed as a tale of sisterly revenge in Tennessee set against the Great Depression.

Cool. Mindless reading. I am down with that.

Overall it was OK. It did not make me want to seek out her previous book that was mentioned on the front and back cover.

It was a bit scattered, with so many peripheral characters. I wanted more about the sisters.

Anyway, it did open with this great passage:

The Lord giveth and most women piss it away. Perhaps this is why they lack the equipment to aim. Some women piddle their life away in a slow incontinent dribble while squatting in the shadow of a man. Others are so busy trying to overshadow men they miss the mark. Most manage to cover up their little messes like a cat scratching in a litter box, but a few always get caught with their pants down. For this reason, Lorna Wilde bestowed upon her daughters the wisdom her mother bestowed upon her, "Never wear holey underwear." Being enterprising young women, the Wilde sisters never wore underwear at all.

Yep. That was the whole opening paragraph.

It should have been my first clue to the rest of the book.

It was not bad. Just a bit overblown.
And she used the same phrases a lot. It was actually quite distracting.

But it was a fast read. I was half way through it by the time the plane landed in Denver and I finished it off before bed last night.

3 comments:

Jacque Jo said...

I love easy reads. I need to pick up a few at our used book store. I tend to buy myself heavy, weighty books and then get bored with them. I need some easy material to breeze through. I'll look for this one!

Anonymous said...

I seem to crave uneasy reads. My trip-home book was "Simon Says," a true story about two Colorado Springs teens who took orders from another teen to kill three other people. It all happened in 2001.

I should really try to figure out someday why I'm do drawn to the dark side of human nature ... at least in my reading material.

Angela said...

I just can't seem to like anything written after 1930. Does that make me weird? I'm affraid that it might. ;)