10.06.2007

My body is a taco stand

So I need to explain the title.

I am not really a John Mayer fan. He is OK. I can take or leave his music most days.

But he had that song a few years back, "Your body is a Wonderland."

And I heard that at some sound checks he would change the lyrics to "my body is a taco stand."

I just thought that was funny and it has stuck with me.

natalie dee
nataliedee.com

The post about my boobs and some of the responses to it got me thinking about body image.
I especially liked Lauren's comment that people should say nice things about their bodies more often.

So here I go:
Sure, I could stand to lose some weight. But my body ROCKS.

We have already established my fascination with my own boobs.

I also love being 6' tall even though it means I have a 38" inseam and cannot just go to the mall to buy pants.

I don't so much love the size 12 feet, but they go with the height and if they were smaller, I would fall over all the time.

I love the fact that I have curves and I love the fact that there are some great men out there who love them, too. Sure, my type ain't for everyone, but I don't have a problem with that.

I also like food. I like to cook it and I like to eat it. Hell, I will be conceited enough to say that I am a damn good cook.

No way would I ever be described as a "delicate flower."

I am more likely to be called "the chick who would win in a fight."

Which is fine by me.

Don't get me wrong. I have my weak moments and my self-doubt.

I have days when I change my clothes 7 times before deciding on an outfit because "nothing looks good on me today."

But most of the time even if I don't feel sexy, I at least feel confident.

I walk with my head high and I usually do it in high heels.

10 comments:

Lauren said...

A taco stand OF LOVE!

Seriously, reading these posts is making me sit up a little straighter. I didn't even know I'd been slumping. Good stuff.

Jim Thomsen said...

You don't strike me as one of those people who's fundamentally unhappy with herself or how she looks. And, in my observation and experience, that puts you ahead of about 92 percent of the rest of us. Including me.

Connie Goto said...

I'd like to get where you are Jill.
Though I'll never be six feet tall, not ever and I've heard that the stretching process is very painful.
But I do wish I'd just start feeling better about what I do have going on.

My body is a Dairy Queen.
My brain is a lemon-aide stand.
Sometimes I run out of sugar.

Lou said...

I hate John Mayer with every bone in my imperfect body :)

Connie Goto said...

I don't really hate him but sometimes he gets this look on his face and I feel like he's thinking, "I can't believe I've fooled all these people into liking this shit."

I've seen that look on the face of televangelists.

Gives me the creeps.

Angela said...

Woman, you are my hero. Go, girl! So jealous of your height and curves. As someone who has the body of a 13-year-old boy, I constantly have to ask myself if men are interested in me primarily because I could fulfill some yucky boy fantasy of theirs. Okay, so that's not truthful, but it's such a good reminder that we all should just be happy with what we've got and realize our own beauty. Thanks for sharing yours. I think you rock!

Atypical California Girl said...

Lauren,
Glad I could help you with your posture.

Jim,
Thanks. It makes me happy that other people can see that I like me the way I am. I am proud of that. It took me a while to get here.

Connie,
I love that! Dairy Queen rocks!

Lou,
Like I said, he is not my favorite either. But that line about the taco stand was just funny. At least it shows he doesn't take too seriously the drivel he sings.
But I have to ask: You like James Blunt, but hate John Mayer? I could really do without either of them.

Angela,
I am guessing there are many reasons someone would be interested in you. But I agree with you about liking ourselves more for who we are. It isn't always easy to do.

Connie Goto said...

Angela is totally hot.
Not to mention,
It's pretty obvious that she is a resilient and kind hearted person.

Wordnerdy said...

Well, I am a delicate flower. I'm petite as can be, but I like it. Mostly. At least I'm proportionate. Clothes shopping is a bitch, though. Especially shoes.

My red hair rocks, although it took about 25 years to appreciate.

My favorite feature, though it probably doesn't qualify, is my brain. I love my wit and sense of humor. I love repartee. And dahlin, I just loooove that I can whip out my southern drawl when needed to melt the hearts of fine gentlemen. (You'll just have to imagine it.)

Atypical California Girl said...

Connie,
You are right. Angela is hot. And it's pretty obvious that goes beyond her looks.

And Wordnerdy,
Thanks for joining the discussion.
I didn't go into all my other fabulosity (brains, humor, talent) since I figured I could make a whole new post about that. But since you brought it up: Brains and humor totally count.
It's all about what makes us each special