9.13.2007

Spending a little time on the dark side

Someone pointed out that this blog was a little dark for me.
I guess I would have to agree to some extent.
As much as I project the happy, competent, together image that I have carefully cultivated over the years, I know I have a bit of a dark side and I think most other people probably do, too.
My dark side is really quite innocent compared with how some people live.
Mostly it is about me not fully sharing everything with the people closest to me.
It is not a matter of not trusting those people.
I just like to keep some stuff to myself.
I also feel like most people have their own problems, I don't need to add mine to the mix. So I usually deal on my own.
I was seeing a shrink for a while to talk about all sorts of personal stuff that was happening then and that had happened years earlier.
I didn't even tell him everything.
So I guess secrecy and retreating into my own head is my real dark side.
Anyone else care to talk about where they go when they want to get dark?

7 comments:

Jim Thomsen said...

Everybody has a dark side. Some just feel obligated to suppress it, to protect the delicate sensibilities of others in their lives. Me, I just let my fuckup-flag fly ....

I'm a happier person these days, but still.

Don't be intimidated. You need a safe place to share all of what you are, not to pretend it doesn't it exist because some people you know may not like that you have such thoughts and feelings.

I like this blog.

Atypical California Girl said...

I generally am a happy person. But we all have down days.
I worry about people who are too happy all the time.
I think their meds need to be adjusted.
And I like this blog, too.

Lou said...

I don't think any of this is particularly dark at all.

Atypical California Girl said...

I didn't really think it was that dark either.
But someone who knows me very well said he thought it was, for me.
I don't see anything really dark about the topics here.
But compared to the other blog...

Marisa said...

Isn't that the point of THIS blog? Freedom to BE DARK. Or BE whatever. Go Girl, I'm with ya.

Angela said...

Oooooooh, me, me, me. It's hard to have the "Oh, but you LOOK so happy" or "Oh, but you ACT so happy." As if I don't feel pissed off or resentful or have pity parties just like the rest of us. Just because my inner curmudgeon doesn't show herself on an hourly basis the way it does with some people I've known, doesn't mean I don't try to deal with anger and an intense desire to drink myself to shit sometimes. :) (See, there's that damn smiley face again.)

I've been practicing being chipper for so long that when I try to let anger out it ends up being way over the top. I'm slowly learning to let a little bit out at a time so as to avoid build-up, but it's a work in progress.

I think that we all need a safe place to just be, though. Even if people give us the deer-in-the-headlights look sometimes. If they love us, they won't leave. And if they leave, that means they didn't love us so fuck 'em. :) (I love how I add a smiley face to try to soften a phrase like "fuck 'em." As I said, it's a work in progress.)

I could handle you getting much darker if truth be told. xoxoxo

Atypical California Girl said...

I want to get darker. But I had a really great weekend, so it is tough to be bitchy right now.
Give me a couple minutes though. I am sure my mood will change.