9.22.2007

Online dating for dummies

So this was on Yahoo! today.

I was reading it and trying to compare his tips to how I went about my own online dating. I will give my response in italics after each of his tips.

By David Wygant

Special to Yahoo! Personals

Recently I was coaching a woman on how to write her profile for Yahoo! Personals. Before we wrote the profile, I asked her to send me her four best pictures.
I asked her to do this because men are as visual as Scooby Doo on steroids. The first thing they do when they see your profile online is NOT read about your trip to Italy last summer. They want to see how hot you are. Keep in mind that every man has different taste in women. What I find attractive, my friend may not find attractive at all.
So I explained this to my client, and I asked her to send me her four best photos -- pictures that represent who she is in her life. What she sent me is mistake #1 of the biggest mistakes women make online.
Here are the 14 biggest online dating mistakes women make:

1. Stop posting four different photos from four different stages in your life. This leaves a man wondering, "Who is this person?" I've looked through thousands of online profiles, and the majority of women will put up pictures from different stages of their life but not put up current pictures. All photos that you post on an online dating profile MUST BE CURRENT!!! He's going to find out what you look like when you meet, and there is no reason to lie about your looks.

I agree with this completely. I hated seeing pictures of guys that were so clearly taken in 1989. All photos I posted had been taken with three months of when I posted the ad. I had three photos. One was a head shot, the others were torso and up. Hey, gotta play up the boobs.

2. Don't list your dislikes about Internet dating in bold, capital letters at the beginning of your profile. We've all had negative experiences online. Emphasize your positive points, not your negative ones.

Seriously. Who wants to respond to someone who is a downer. I tried to keep my profile light and conversational. A friend told me it was written in a tone that was exactly the tone I use when I talk. I took that as a compliment.

3. List your exact body type. It seems like on the Internet EVERYBODY is "athletic and toned," "petite" or "fit and trim."
He will find out what you look like! You might as well tell the truth in your profile, so you'll have a qualified lead and not waste somebody's time.

If you have current photos, he will see your exact body type. I listed mine as curvy, needs to lose a few pounds. Which is how I see myself. Others may see me differently.

4. List your real age. In the world of Internet dating, it seems like there's an abundance of 29- and 39-year-old women. "29" usually means somewhere in your 30's. And a woman who is "39" is usually in her 40's. Why start a potential relationship on a lie? Men are guilty of the same thing, and I advise them the same way.

It never even occurred to me to lie about this. But with so many guys in their 40s seeking women in their 20s, I can see why some people might be tempted to lie. Me, I wasn't interested in meeting 45-year-old men who wanted to date a 23-year-old woman. I was that woman once. I was ready to date my own age.

5. I'm really glad you had a great time on your vacation, but you don't need to post 10 photos of your trip to Italy WITHOUT you in them. This is a dating site, not a trip advisor. Also, stop posting pictures of you skydiving, winter skiing, waterskiing, or doing anything else where we can't see what you look like in the picture.

I don't know. I didn't go overboard with photos. But if you say you like scuba diving, why not back that up with a photo? Just don't make it the main photo on your profile. Put those at the end and if the guy wants to know more, he will look at those.

6. Keep your profile short and to the point. Make your paragraphs very short. I've seen too many women's profiles that look like romance novels. Take a look at Yahoo! Sports and read an article in the sports section.
All paragraphs are short so men can digest that information in short bursts.

Right. Because guys have the attention span of a cat. Keep it quippy and witty and smart.

7. Don't be so self-absorbed. I've seen many women's profiles that say, "I want a man to be this," "I want a man to do that," "I want a man to cherish me," "I want a man to adore me"... You list all your "I wants" without listing what YOU will bring to the relationship. So you end up looking like you're a taker and not a giver. No man wants to be with a taker; he wants to be with someone who's equally willing to give and to receive.

Yes! Aside from making you seem needy and demanding, if you have a list of things you want and a guy read that, he might think "Oh. She seems great. But she only wants to date a guy who is at least 6' tall. Too bad I am 5'11. Next." And you could be missing out on a great guy.

8. Don't list your financial desires like you're posting a want ad. I've seen too many women write, "I'm looking for a man who will spoil me, buy me great things, and take me on great trips." You come across as a gold digger. Instead say, "I like the finer things in life to share with somebody," so you don't come across so harsh.

Why even bring this up at all? I mean, I did mention that I have a great job, but I never mentioned money or that I have a house. This bugs me like it bugs me when people ask what kind of car you drive before they even ask you if you have any siblings.

9. No baby talk! Even if the number one priority in your life is to be a mother, nothing scares a man off more than if you write in your profile about how badly you want kids. He may feel the same way, but he is going to think, "This woman will marry anybody to have kids." Write something a little more toned down like, "Families are important to me, and I can't wait to meet my special man so I can start a family." This shows you're selective and not just looking for someone with whom to make a kid.

I didn't put anything in my description about wanting kids even though I do. I just checked the box that indicated I wanted them. I guess I took it on faith that guys would actually look at all those things.

10. Stop listing all your rules. Don't write things like "A perfect first date MUST be dinner" or "The man I date HAS to wear suits." Women tend to list rules in their profiles. Be open to a different kind of first date, or the kind of guy who wears jeans to work.

This goes back to the list of demands for me.

11. Stop sending winks. When is the last time you went to the supermarket, saw a cute guy and winked at him? Winks went out of style when "Happy Days" went off the air. You don't like it when men send you a wink. You think it makes him seem lazy and like he didn't read your profile. We think the same thing! So stop winking and start typing.

I never winked! And I really did hate getting those things. I pretty much ignored them. If someone can't even take the time to write a simple note, I pretty much figured they were not winking at me, they were winking at my boobs.

12. If you write to a man and he doesn't write you back, don't write a nasty follow-up email and ask him why he didn't write you back. If a man doesn't respond to you, it's the same thing as when you don't write a man back. It means that he is not interested. Don't get angry, just find another person.

I did always try to at least hit the auto-reply button that said thanks, but no thanks even if I didn't include a note. Is that wrong? I think it is better than not responding at all.

13. We know you're looking at us, because we see that you've viewed our profile every day. Say "hello!" We're not going to bite. Lob that email in.
Take a chance and send an email to the guy to whom you're most attracted. You never know what might happen!

I looked at a lot of profiles. Just because you look doesn't mean you want to write. Or maybe you are trying to think of the right thing to write. Or maybe you just think the guy is hot in his picture but sounds like a real dolt. So you want to look, but not actually have to converse.

14. If a guy who you're interested in writes to you, stop playing games and write him back right away. Don't make him wait four days. He may find someone else in the time you wait to write him back. Keep the momentum going!

I was pretty good about writing back the same day if I was interested. I was also pretty good about hitting the auto-no thanks button if I wasn't. I mean, the point of it was to meet people, not to have a pen pal, right?

I have found when online dating that if you're honest about who you are, and you get back to people immediately, you'll get the date faster and avoid all the back and forth games that go on. Now go change that profile!

OK. Overall these are good tips and I think I already was doing these when I was on the dating site.
Anyone disagree with David? Or with me for that matter?

4 comments:

Jim Thomsen said...

You've seen in my own blog that I've agreed with most of these, but I have some things to add:

1. I agree with both of you about photos. I'd add that the main photo should be a decent-quality shot that was taken in the past year and clearly shows your face and eyes (no sunglasses, no harsh shadows). There should also be a secondary photo that shows you waist-up.

Other photo "rules" I advocate:

— Yes, I want to see if you have boobs, but I'm put off if you're too obvious in how you display them. There's a balance to be had (Jill's pic is a good example.)

— No pics in which someone's arm is around you and you've cropped them out.

— No posing with pets unless you're absolutely insistent that you and your pet are a package deal, and whoever wants you has to want them, too.

— No pics of you in a group of people.


2. I totally agree about "no accentuating the negative." What amazes me is that 80 percent of would-be Internet daters miss them, and in my observation, women do this far more than men. They're sending this message: "I'm totally worn out and beaten down by dating, and I'm dating online as a last resort, and I'm just so sick of getting hurt or meeting guys who don't treat me well — even if that usually happens because I let them walk all over me — so I'm just going to cut through the bullshit and give you my laundry list. Either you can deal with it or you can't. I don't give a shit either way, to be honest."

Woo-hoo! My dream woman!

3. I agree with both of you on body type. Just because I wish I wasn't "packing a few extra pounds," and am actively making progress in that area, doesn't make it true. It's wrong to project my wishful thinking onto my reality until it actually becomes reality. Nowhere do I see people lying to themselves more than in this part of the profile. (Or worse, all the defiant, almost shrill pride in being a "BBW.")

4. I didn't realize people lied about their age. But it's ridiculous — if I date you and find out later, I'll drop you no matter how much I like you. Because, quite simply, I can't trust you. And I don't know what else you're lying about. Like being married. Or having done time.

5. I don't think vacation or activity photos are such a big deal. Again, just make sure we can see you clearly.

6. I agree with keeping it short, but more to the point, keep it interesting. Jill's Yahoo profile was long, but she wrote it in simple, colorful declarative sentences and short paragraphs that were fun to read. It's not about size as much as quality, right?

7. Agreed. I hate the laundry-list approach. I hate the assumption that we men shouldn't worry about what you bring to the table — as if having boobs was all you think we should be worried about.

8. There are dating Web sites for gold-diggers. What I hate about stated income/lifestyle requirements on general sites like Yahoo! is that the women rarely say how well they're doing — as if economic inequality is not only nothing to apologize for, but a woman's divine right (as if life were a Doris Day movie). A woman who expects to be pampered and taken care of is waving all sorts of unpleasant red flags. I'd never for a moment feel loved who I am by such a person.

9. Agree on the baby talk. Jill's approach is reasonable, though sometimes you can't trust me to see something that subtle. Probably something needs to be said. I don't say in my ads that I DON'T want kids, even though I don't. But I generally try to date within my age group, and unless a woman expressly states she wants kids, I'm not going to assume a woman over 40 does.

10. Agree on the rules. I don't need a woman to define for me what a gentleman is anymore than you need me to tell you how to act like a lady. I hold open doors, dress presentably, pay the check, ask you questions about yourself. Either we'll be of like mind or we won't. If we won't ... well, it was nice to meet you, and good luck elsewhere.

11. Winks are a good communication device between people who understand each other somewhat, to convey nuances of lightheartedness. It's not neraly as effective between two people who don't know each other at all.

12. I never freak out about return e-mails. If you initiated contact, I responded and you didn't respond, then ... well ... that's that. I'm not worried about your motivations. I'm busy getting on with my life. I always return e-mails, even if it's just to click the form response.

13. I don't e-mail unless I'm not only attracted but feel there's a good chance she'll like me too. It's not enough for her to be good-looking ... there's got to be a sense that we'll be compatible elsewhere. I read profiles carefully for clues to this.

14. Agree on prompt e-mail replies. Some people use "the delay game" to make other people crazy. It's cold and cruel and calculated.

Good advice in general.

Connie Goto said...

I thought it was a good article, and what Jim said about pictures with people cropped out. I almost always think a guy might be an ass if he posts a picture with an ex-girlfriend cropped out. One guy I know told me he did that on purpose to piss off his ex-girlfriend. Nice.
Number 2 of Jim's list describes me pretty well. Especially the "I don't give a shit either way to be honest." So, for that, I think I need an attitude adjustment before I try to start dating again (well, actually I answered an ad recently, but that's all for now, thanks) And that's okay because while I'm not having a Doris Day fantasy, I also have not established myself as a financially independent person. That seems to be an important thing for me to do before I try to find a serious partner. (And I don't want a non-serious partner.)
I'm also turned away from profiles where men (and maybe they aren't doing it on purpose because the system might have a default) but if a 45 year old man says he would like to date a 25 year old woman that's a red flag for me.

If someone is proud to be a BBW she is saying that she doesn't actually want to lose weight but wants to date someone who appreciates her the way she is. I think it's fine so long as she doesn't expect to convince someone who would not be attracted to that body type.
In general I'm trying to be more accepting of other people who do things differently from how I would do things. (It's difficult though.)

With Match I remember being frustrated with the body type explanation because I felt like I was both Curvy and a few extra pounds though right now maybe I'm, what was it? Big and Beautiful? I'm not even sure if that's accurate.
I have boobs and I'm a size 16, What does that make me? I don't even know. Frankly I think they should have some kind of size chart if they want people to put themselves into only one category or better they should allow more than one box to be checked.

Honesty. It's a big deal to me if someone is honest. I went out with someone who went on and on in his profile about how he had lost about 100 lbs and he had all these skinny photos posted. Also he could have said he was separated instead of divorced, since that was the case.
When I met him he had gained like 80 lbs. It would have been fine had he not lied or at least had he told me before I met him. But there were so many things with this person.

I want to say also that women do let people walk over them and they do have a hard time turning away once they meet someone. It's really a problem actually. And I think this is the reason women post "bitch" ads. It's like saying don't even write to me because I don't trust myself to be discerning and firm and to turn your sorry ass to the curb.

Lou said...

Haha, this writer is "Special to Yahoo Personals." I find that funny. As if Yahoo Personals can't find enough staffers to write?

Online dating is weird. It sucks as much as real-world dating.

Atypical California Girl said...

Online dating does suck as much as normal dating.
But I think online dating is now becoming normal dating.
I know so many people who have used one or another of the online dating sites.